Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Blameless Life

Psalm 101 (NIV)

Of David. A psalm.
1 I will sing of your love and justice;
to you, O LORD, I will sing praise.

2 I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house
with a blameless heart.

3 I will set before my eyes
no vile thing.
The deeds of faithless men I hate;
they will not cling to me.

4 Men of perverse heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with evil.

5 Whoever slanders his neighbor in secret,
him will I put to silence;
whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart,
him will I not endure.

6 My eyes will be on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
he whose walk is blameless
will minister to me.

7 No one who practices deceit
will dwell in my house;
no one who speaks falsely
will stand in my presence.

8 Every morning I will put to silence
all the wicked in the land;
I will cut off every evildoer
from the city of the LORD.

This past year, well almost a year, I have been meditating on walking blamelessly, or living the blameless life. This was an interesing Psalm I came across today. It's interesting the contrast here between the blameless life, the life of the wicked, and the end result of each.

I love how King David focuses on God's love and His justice. I rarely think positively about God's justice though I probably should. King David is praising God for His love and justice. It's similar to praise God in all situations, much easier said than done.

In verse 2, he says "I will be careful to lead a blameless life—when will you come to me?
I will walk in my house with a blameless heart." First, he comments that he will "be careful to lead a blameless life..." This is someting that really hit me like a brick the first time I was impacted by this concept of blameless. We have to be careful to be blameless, as in a very deliberate way. The second thing that is reallly striking is his statement that he "will walk in my house with a blameless heart." This seems odd to my human understanding because walking into one's home is seems like such a trivial activity, but this suggests that God is concerned with seemingly unimportant details. Meaning that we have to be conscience of every aspect of every moment of our lives and evaluating everything that is in our thoughts and hearts.

In verse 3, he states that he will "set before his eyes no vile thing." Again here the furthering of the concept that we have to be deliberate in all we do to walk blamelessly. It is less about the do's and don'ts of living this life and becoming more who God desires us to be, separate and blameless and holy.

In verse 6, when he says, "he whose walk is blameless will minister to me" we need to understand how our daily blameless walk not only sets us apart and is a witness to thoes who do not know God, but also it is an encouragement to our fellow believers. So often we focus so much on those who are lost that we forget about those who are wondering away from the flock in our distrating search for the one lost sheep. Both are very important to Him, and we have to focus on who God is telling us to minister to, as well as this understanding of the influence on all who see our daily walks.

So, I continue to long to walk blamelessly each day, though I know I am not completely there and as with all things will probably never get there until I am fully transfigured on the other side basking in God's glory!

No comments: