Monday, November 3, 2008

Are We Seeking the Correct Justice In Our World?

Habakkuk 1:2-4

Habakkuk's Complaint
2 How long, O LORD, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, "Violence!"
but you do not save?

3 Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrong?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds.

4 Therefore the law is paralyzed,
and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous,
so that justice is perverted.

Habakkuk was crying out for God to right the wrong in His people.  God's response to Habakkuk was basically, "If I told you wouldn't believe me, so just sit tight and watch what I'm going to do.  I am going to send the most violent, arrogant, opulent people to deliver my justice on My people.  I've warned them, and they still refuse to listen and obey."

I have been meditating on the concept of justice for awhile now.  I am a person that wants to see people get what they deserve like when you see someone driving recklessly.  It was about a year ago when Ryan, the girls, and myself were going out to Mexican.  There was this chick in an Explorer that was driving erratically to the point she almost slammed into the back of us several times.  The last time she almost hit us she slammed on her breaks so hard her tires were squealing, and she had to pull off onto the shoulder.  As if this wasn't egregious enough she proceeded to pass us in a no passing zone where she really couldn't see the on-coming traffic.  I have to admit I wasn't happy to say the least because I had two little girls, one being a little over 6 months old.  I felt the safety of my family and myself was being compromised and there wasn't anyone to correct this maniac's behavior.  After it was all over, I asked Ryan, "Why is it there is never a cop around to see this type of recklessness?!?!?!?  But if you or I have a stupid light out on our licence plate there always is one to make sure we are aware?"

Maybe you have asked yourself the same question because of a similar situation.  Perhaps you've even cried out for justice, but haven't seen any.  I think many times we even experience similar situations with those whom we share a pew.  These individuals seem to live without any thought of the consequences of their decisions, and God seems to not do anything.  Perhaps you've done what we've all done at least once because we felt led to spread the truth about true Christian living was to really look like, and later learned that you pushed that person further from God. I think sometimes we get wrapped up in the legalistic list that make us feel like we are godly, and we forget that we were commanded to speak to each other in love.  (Ephesians 4:15)

Tonight is the eve of the presidential election, and I sense an air of apprehension.  There are so many factors that are in play in this election that has gotten a lot of people feeling trapped.  Many are questioning if either of the candidate can save us, if they can steer us out of this darkness.  I think this speaks volumes to where our nation is in terms of it's faith.  This really saddens me because it's hard to know how this will factor into who will win.

I have to admit that I am like a lot of people and feel that there isn't a right choice in this vote.  It's truly picking the lesser of two evils.  I am not afraid of what is to come because I know that God is ultimately in control, and neither of these guys can do anything apart from God.  I trust God to provide and protect my family.  He will be our Savior, not some politician in Washington.  Still I pray because I know I still need His strength to hang in there and not be shaken by the uncertainty that the future holds no matter who is in charge next year.

No comments: