Friday, April 18, 2008

What's In A Name?

Ephesians 5:1-21 (NIV)

1Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

3But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a man is an idolater—has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.[a] 6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.

8For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light 9(for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) 10and find out what pleases the Lord. 11Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. 12For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. 13But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, 14for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you."

15Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, 16making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. 18Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. 19Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, 20always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

21Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Ryan's family name makes some people cringe.  The original spelling of the name was Dyck, but Americans wanted to pronounce it dyke, which is apparently the Dutch pronunciation, not the German.  In German it is supposed to be pronounced dick.  Some other interesting perspectives on the meaning of the name are as follows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyck_language

"Scottish and English: from a short form of Richard. Although found in every part of Britain, the form Dick is especially common in Scotland, and it was from there, in the 17th century, that the surname was taken to northern Ireland.
German and Jewish (Ashkenazic): nickname from Middle High German dic(ke) ‘thick’, ‘strong’, ‘stout’, or in the case of the Jewish name from modern German dick ‘fat’ or Yiddish dik.
German: topographic name for someone who lived by a thicket or patch of thick undergrowth, from Middle High German dicke, a special use of dic(ke) ‘thick’.
North German: from a short form of a Germanic personal name Theodicho, formed with theud ‘people’, ‘race’."  http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Dick-name-meaning.ashx

I bring this up because a dear friend of mine told me she felt she couldn't type my blog name as it is to share with others, and this is fine because I'm all about whatever pushes you towards walking blameless before God.  I actually haven't thought about our last name in that way in such a long time since a huge part of my life is teaching two girls how important it is to have a relationship with God.  Ryan and I felt we wouldn't make a big deal about our last name and even avoid that conversation until someone else brought it to their attention.  We decided we would take this time to teach them what being a Dick meant by pointing out the character that has been a legacy handed down through the generations in Ryan's family.  The name Dick in Harlowton, MT means that you are completely devoted to God, honest, loving, a servant, hard working, and a man/woman of amazing integrity.  I had my issues with the name for a while when Ryan and I were first married, but when Ryan's grandfather died I began to truly understand what it meant to be a part of the Dick family.  I'm thankful for Ryan and his family and every bit of who they are, and I feel so honored that I'm a part of this family.  So, I just want my intentions to be very clear
that I don't mean anything offensive or the likes with the name of my blog.  It honestly was just being at a loss for a title, and it was also a familiar saying between us and close friends.  I know most people do not ever think about our name in that way, which brings me to the above passage.  I've thought about this passage a lot in the context of how to deal with such issues with our name like we have here.  I honestly believe the behaviors described above begin with the attitudes in our hearts since it refers to 'us' as children--seeing things from an innocent point of view.  Then through this attitude of the heart we will not be disobedient to God in our actions, but at the same time being conscious of those we surround ourselves with because when we open ourselves up to these behaviors (or being exposed to them) we are standing on a very slippery slope that will end us up in disobedience if we do not diligently watch ourselves.  So, perhaps, if we see evil in things that we shouldn't this tells a lot about our own motivations and attitudes.

So, this is what I "feel" that I've learn about this subject since Ryan and I got engaged, and having to deal with these attitudes towards my name specifically.  I don't think I've completely figured every aspect of the first part of Ephesian 5, but I am always trying to regain my innocence so that I can protect my girls from a world that is constantly trying to socialize them otherwise.  I trust God fully to bring this to fruition because this is something only God can restore.  How awesome is He?

No comments: